It’s not the quantity of interactions with customers … it’s the quality of interactions with customers that leads to better business according to the Harvard Business Review.
The Harvard Business Review recently outlined the “Three Myths about What Customers Want.” The posting highlighted a study that polled more than 7,000 consumers. They concluded that many businesses engage customers the wrong way. Here are the three things that most businesses do wrong.
Mistake #1: Businesses believe that customers want to have relationships with them
Only 23 percent of consumers want to have relationships with businesses. That leaves 77 percent that don’t. Most customers prefer to have relationships with people and not brands. That means you should stop battering the 77 percent with emails and loyalty programs and focus in on the 23 percent that want to have a relationship. You’ll put your marketing dollars to better use.
Mistake #2: Businesses think that interactions create relationships
Just because you talk to a person a lot doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re friends. The same applies with your business and your customer base. The study showed that the frequency of interactions does not build relationships. Rather, it’s the shared values that create strong relationships. It’s important to share your core values with customers to build a stronger bond. Take some time to really think about your core values if you haven’t already.
Mistake #3: Businesses assume more interactions equals success
More marketing messages does not equal more sales. In fact, the study showed that too many marketing messages can become “overwhelming” for customers. It’s better to communicate a few quality messages that resonate with your customer base. Avoid hammering your customers with too many messages. Rely on your analytics to determine messaging frequency and to see what messaging works.
Now that you know the top three communication mistakes with customers, you’ll really want to take a strategic approach with your marketing.
At AfterMarketer Club, we can develop a game-changing marketing plan that will help you reach more customers using social media, email and even smartphones and cell phones. To find out how we can help you, visit our automotive marketing services page or call us at (602) 412-3426.
Published in Opinions